Stem Cells In Treating Rotator Cuff and Shoulder Injuries
Our shoulders are one of the most important parts of our body. It is used for just about anything. When you are driving your car, you’re using your shoulders. If you’re playing sports, you’re using your shoulders. Even the simple act of drinking your favorite soda, you’re also using your shoulders as well.
It is one of the most mobile parts of our bodies and with increased mobility, it also means that it lacks stability as well. In fact, because of this characteristic, people are prone to shoulder injuries, most especially athletes who play Basketball, Tennis, and other similar activities.
Most shoulder injuries involve the rotator cuff. It is comprised mainly of a group of muscles and tendons that help connect your upper arm bone to your shoulder blade.
It is one of the most mobile joints in the body and as I’ve alluded to before, with great mobility comes great instability. An injury to the rotator cuff can exhibit some or all of these symptoms: stiffness, pain, soreness, and overall loss of range of motion (especially when raising your arm).
There are many treatment options for shoulder and rotator cuff injuries, but it mainly involves some sort of surgical procedure, which most people do not like.
If you are uneasy with the notion of getting a surgery for your shoulder injuries, then you may want to look at regenerative medicine instead; particularly, stem cell therapy.
Are You Eligible for Stem Cell Therapy?
Before you take a stem cell therapy, however, you need to talk to your doctor first. If you suffer from a shoulder or rotator cuff injury, the attending physician will first assess the severity of the damage.
If it involves complete tears to the muscles, severe damage to the bones, or damaged ligaments, then you might need to take a complete surgical procedure as stem cells might not have the ability to fix that.
However, if it is just a slight damage, then you’re most definitely eligible to take stem cell therapy if you want to.
Why is Stem Cell Therapy the Preferred Choice?
There are many people who are opting to go for stem cell therapy as opposed to a surgical procedure. Here are some reasons why:
- Stem cell therapy is generally painless. It doesn’t involve any surgical procedures and it is quite easy to get stem cells from your body for use in the transplantation process.
- The procedure is safe and it is guided both with the use of an X-ray and Ultrasound so you will know that your shoulders will be taken good care of.
- It is also an outpatient procedure which means that you do not have to stay in the hospital after the therapy session is done.
- Recovery is much quicker than undergoing a normal surgical procedure.
- Stem cell therapies are only for partial tears and injury to your shoulders.
- You may experience some side effects like headaches, nausea, or vomiting. But, do note that it is not due to the stem cells; it is due to the anesthesia that is given to you prior to the therapy.
- The procedure can last up to 3 hours, but you are allowed to go home afterward.